- Meat and poultry
- Beef pasta
Pastitsio is a layered Greek pasta bake topped with white sauce. You can also use a mixture of half minced beef and half minced pork for this recipe, and use penne instead of macaroni.
30 people made this
- Meat layer
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1.25kg lean minced beef
- 175ml water
- 160g tomato puree
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Macaroni layer
- 450g uncooked macaroni
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 80g grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 110g butter, melted
- White sauce layer
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- 90ml double cream
- 90ml milk
- 80g grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg to taste
MethodPrep:45min ›Cook:1hr10min ›Extra time:15min resting › Ready in:2hr10min
- For the beef layer: Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Stir in onion and cook until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the minced beef, cook until crumbly and no longer pink. Pour in the water and add the tomato puree. Season with salt, pepper, allspice, nutmeg and cinnamon; cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, adjust salt to taste, then refrigerate until cold. Once cold, remove any congealed fat, and thoroughly mix with 2 beaten eggs; set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / Gas 6.
- For the macaroni: Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to the boil. Add macaroni and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain, and rinse under cold water to cool. Mix the macaroni in 2 beaten eggs until well coated.
- Evenly spread half of the macaroni mixture into a 28x35cm baking dish, sprinkle with 40g of the grated parmesan cheese, and drizzle with half of the melted butter. Spread the meat mixture overtop, then finish with the remaining macaroni. Sprinkle the macaroni with another 40g of Parmesan cheese, and drizzle with remaining melted butter.
- To make the white sauce: Whisk together 4 beaten eggs with the cream, milk, 80g of Parmesan cheese, flour and salt; whisk until well blended. Pour the cream mixture evenly over top of the pastitsio, and sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Cover the dish with foil, and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove the foil, and bake until the top has turned golden brown, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and allow to stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(16)
Reviews in English (11)
I have made this recipe for years and it is a winner. It takes a few bowls and pans but this can be cleaned up during the baking - and it's well worth it! As the kids were growing up, they had this recipe right up there with pizza as their favorite. I never knew the real name but called it Greek Macaroni Bake.-02 Jan 2010
Good stuff. I quartered the recipe for the wife and I, added some spinach and baked in a square pan. Will make again.-17 Apr 2008