- Meat and poultry
This is a fantastic recipe for poussin and goes beautifully with roasted potatoes. Nice alternative for Sunday lunch!
128 people made this
- 110g melted butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 stick celery, chopped
- 1/4 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 (300g) tin mushrooms, drained and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 poussin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 60g melted butter
MethodPrep:30min ›Cook:1hr30min ›Ready in:2hr
- Preheat oven to 170 C / Gas 3.
- In a small bowl combine the 110g melted butter, onion, celery, pepper, mushrooms, garlic, basil, oregano and parsley.
- Season poussin inside and out with salt and pepper to taste, then stuff with equal amounts butter/vegetable mixture. Place stuffed poussin in a 20x30cm baking dish, breast side up. Drizzle with remaining melted butter.
- Cover dish and bake in the preheated oven for 1 1/2 hours. Remove cover and brown at 260 C / Gas 9.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(134)
Reviews in English (93)
I have baked a lot of Cornish hens in my lifetime, but have only stuffed them with a rice mixture. This was very good and a nice change. For the reviewer that had a problem with it being dry, I just cooked it like I always do. I oil the hens, season them, then make a basting sauce of 1/4 cup of oil, 1/4 cup of sherry, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, garlic powder and other favorite seasonings, and cook the bird uncovered, basting every 15 - 20 minutes. I usually cook the hen at 350F for 1 hour and 20 minutes, then turn off the oven and let them sit in the oven to 'rest' about 10 minutes, basting one last time after the oven is turned off. Thanks Janet for a new variation!-24 Dec 2003
by Kate Fisher
Very nice little recipe. Easy, even for someone who has never cooked hens before. I omitted the green pepper, and doubled the garlic since we have a small garlic addiction issue. Also, I added raisins and even my anti fruit husband loved it. Will make this again.-12 Mar 2003
I changed this recipe a lot. I stuffed the cavity with 3types of wintersquas includingzuchini. I alsoadded 4 chopped ed potatoes. I drizzled the inside and outside of my poultry with olive oil intead of butter. I seasoned my meat withpoulty seasoning, the basil mixture an walla , whatta dish. i will post the picture you judge for yourself. easy and delicious.-04 Nov 2007