- Dish type
- Fish soup
This garlicky seafood stew is packed with mussels, seabass and prawns. It's beautiful colour comes from the cooked tomatoes and saffron.
151 people made this
- 175ml (6 fl oz) olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 3 tomatoes - peeled, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sprig fresh fennel
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 350g (12 oz) mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 2L (3 1/2 pints) boiling water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2kg (5 lb) red mullet or seabass
- 350g(12 oz) fresh prawns, peeled and deveined
- 1 pinch saffron threads
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:25min ›Ready in:40min
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, and add the onions, leeks, tomatoes and garlic. Cook and stir over a low heat for a few minutes until all vegetables are soft.
- Stir in the fennel, thyme, bay leaf and grated orange zest. Add mussels and boiling water; stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Turn heat up to high, and boil for about 3 minutes to allow the oil and water to combine.
- Add the rest of the fish and prawns; reduce the heat to medium. Continue cooking for 12 to 15 minutes, or until fish is cooked. The fish should be tender, but not falling apart.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. Stir in saffron; serve immediately in warm bowls with bread.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(61)
Reviews in English (42)
What a delicious dish. It went down very well with my husband and son too. I halved the ingredients to make for 6 and we licked th pot clean between the 3 of us! Defo be making this one again - soooo easy!-22 Feb 2010
This is so good; everyone wanted me to cook again.-21 Jul 2008
Served this at my last dinner party. This dish was a huge success. I have already received requests to serve it at my next party.-21 Jul 2008