- Popular collections
- Everyday cooking
- Quick and easy
This is a famous sandwich straight from Cuba. Medianoche is typically made with an egg bread roll, similar to challah, but if you can't find these rolls a regular white roll will suffice!
133 people made this
- 4 white baps or rolls
- 8 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 450g thinly sliced cooked ham
- 450g thinly sliced fully cooked pork
- 450g sliced cheese, such as Gruyere or mild Cheddar
- 200g sliced gherkins
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:8min ›Ready in:23min
- Split the sandwich rolls in half, and spread mustard and mayonnaise liberally onto the cut sides. On each sandwich, place and equal amount of cheese, ham and pork in exactly that order. Place a few gherkins onto each one, and put the top of the roll onto the sandwich. Brush the tops with melted butter.
- Press each sandwich in a panini press heated to medium-high heat. If a panini press is not available, use a large frying pan over medium-high heat, and press the sandwiches down using a sturdy plate or frying pan. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, keeping sandwiches pressed. If using a frying pan, flip them once for even browning. Slice diagonally and serve hot.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(163)
Reviews in English (134)
This is a good version of the Cuban as we know it but not the original, love all the different versions. Pork is spicy roasted, ham is also fresh not processed, good swiss cheese, dill pickles,cover the sandwich along with the mustard sauce.Cuban bread crispy on outside soft inside, heat on both sides, press with spatcular.do not melt cheese.This is from my brother- in-law, who is from cuba.-22 Jul 2006
We use regular sub rolls from the grocery bakery. We spread a very thin coating of butter on the outside and lightly sprinkle them with garlic salt and black pepper. Once you grill them, they are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Inside, we used thinly sliced deli ham and left over pork tenderloin from the night before, swiss cheese, mayo, mustard and fresh pickles such as claussen's. We grilled them up on the Foreman grill, pressing hard to flatten them out and heat everything through. I have yet to make these without rave reviews!! I now have a new favorite sandwich! Very easy to make and fantastic!! Thanks.-21 Aug 2006
I've been making these sandwhiches for years only I use a club roll like a Paninni bread and 86 the maoy and mustard I use cilantro, parsley, garlic, hot chile flakes and olive oil, puree in food prosessor to make a pesto and spread that on the roll, you'll love it better and it's better for you-22 Jul 2006