- Dish type
Coconut tapioca is an all-time favourite. You can also make the coconut tapioca by itself without the papaya bowl!
6 people made this
- 100g tapioca pearls
- 1 (400g) tin coconut milk
- 2 large papayas - halved lengthways and seeded
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:20min ›Extra time:1hr chilling › Ready in:1hr30min
- Bring a pot of water to the boil. Stir the tapioca into the boiling water. Reduce heat to medium to keep water at a simmer. Cook, stirring frequently to keep the pearls from sticking to the bottom of the pot, until the water becomes thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain. Transfer the tapioca to a large bowl and cover with cold water.
- Refill the pot with fresh water and bring to the boil. Once the tapioca pearls have cooled, drain the cool water from the bowl and transfer the tapioca to the boiling water. Remove the pot from the heat; cook and stir again until the pearls are clear, 5 to 7 minutes; drain. Transfer the tapioca to a clean bowl and cover with cold water. If the pearls are not completely clear, repeat the process until they are.
- Pour the coconut milk into a small saucepan and place over medium heat; bring to a simmer. Once the coconut milk is simmering, stir the tapioca into the coconut milk until the pearls are evenly coated. Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool completely; spoon into the papaya halves. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.